Nature-based Learning online course created by Dr Claire Warden.
Get inspired to create nature-based learning experiences that engage children and connect them to the natural world, whether they live in the city or the country.
During this course you will consider the benefits of learning with nature and investigate topics for effective nature-based learning based around the four elements of Fire, Earth, Water and Air.
Watch videos that bring learning to life. You will be able to watch theory come alive in practice through videos filmed at our very own award-winning Auchlone Nature Kindergarten. Through these videos Claire will share some great practical ideas that you can start using with the children you work with.
Additionally, Claire will explain the theory of Nature Pedagogy and how you can apply its principles within your setting and lastly, you’ll look at how to support inquiry-based learning within nature using the Floorbook Approach.
The course includes 2 live chats with Claire. These will be a perfect time to review your actions and complete a reflection diary. Claire will be available to answer your questions, support your plans to embed your learning and help you overcome any challenges you may have.
The course is designed to take you 4 – 6 months to complete, this includes time to embed your learning and evaluate your practice.
The course includes the following modules:
- Introduction to Nature Pedagogy
- Learning with Nature - Benefit Risk Assessment
- Learning with Nature - Rocks, Stones and Pebbles
- Learning with Nature - Light and Shadow
- Learning with Nature - Wind
- Learning with Nature - Drips, Drops and Dribbles
- Introduction to Floorbooks
‘Nature-based Learning’ is aimed at all professionals working within Early Years Childcare and Education who want to reflect on and grow their own practice. This is an introductory course and therefore no pre-requisite learning is required.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
1. Understand the potential of Nature Pedagogy for an inspiring and engaging approach to learning.
2. Explain how nature-based learning can benefit children's learning.
3. Feel confident in creating a stimulating outdoor environment for children.
4. Introduce nature-based learning around the themes covered by the course within your setting.
5. Improve the quality of children's interaction with nature and the learning that develops from it.
6. Start using the Floorbook Approach to support inquiry-based learning within your setting.
This online course provides a minimum of 10 hours of professional development. You'll have access to it for one year from the time of purchase.
*** All proceeds from the sale of this courses will go towards funding Living Classroom’s Virtual Nature School which is helping children around the world connect with nature and each other during these unprecedented times. The Virtual Nature School was created by Dr Claire Warden and is delivered by Living Classrooms CIC in partnership with Mindstretchers Academy ***
Want your whole team to benefit from our online learning?
Our Learning Tokens offer you our very best discounts and allow you to choose from any of our online modules, webinars or academy talks. They are super flexible and easy to use. Once purchased, you can reimburse your Learning Token for your choice of learning immediately or as and when required throughout the year.
Find out more