Nature Kindergarten Day - 28 August 2020
Nature Kindergarten Day
Date: Friday, 28 August 2020
Time: 10:30 – 15:30 (includes lunch)
Venue: Auchlone Nature Kindergarten, Auchlone Lodge, Abercairny Estate, Fowlis Wester, Nr Crieff, PH7 3QZ
Auchlone Nature Kindergarten is a multi award-winning early years centre for 2-5 year olds in Perthshire where children spend over 85% of their time outdoors.
Our Nature Kindergarten Day includes a visit to Auchlone with an exploration of the ethos and methodology of Nature Pedagogy as developed by Dr Claire Warden. We'll provide an in-depth tour of the areas of inside the setting, outside in the landscaped environment and beyond the gate into wilder spaces, explaining the thinking behind our practice. There will be ample opportunities for questions, sharing experiences and discussing specific situations. We’ll address a wide range of practical issues linked to outdoor learning.
Our Senior Trainer and/or Auchlone Manager will share their wide breadth of knowledge regarding all aspects of running a Nature Kindergarten and adjust the content of the visit according to your needs and interests.
Following the visit to Auchlone, we'll continue your learning with a practical workshop session. We'll address the practical considerations of delivering daily outdoor education. You'll also get an insight into how we support inquiry-based learning with the Floorbook Approach, created by Dr Claire Warden. Finally we'll explore how you can implement parts of the nature kindergarten ethos and the Floorbook Approach into your own practice to create authentic and rich learning experiences and to improve your practice.
Our Nature Kindergarten Day is ideal for practitioners who wish to begin intertwining nature into all forms of learning whether they are in a rural or urban setting, educators who currently work in an outdoor learning centre or anyone looking to set up an outdoor learning centre. It will support increased engagement with the natural environment and help you improve your own practice inside, outside, and beyond!
- To explore the origins and approach of Nature Kindergartens internationally and to look at the methodology behind Nature Pedagogy as defined by Claire Warden.
- To be able to plan for a relevant nature space in consultation with children.
- To look at the layout and day-to-day operation of an outdoor learning environment.
- To explore how the Nature Kindergarten methodology can be implemented in any kind of setting or practice.
You'll be able to:
- Implement aspects of Nature Kindergarten practice to your setting.
- Record and evidence children’s learning using the Floorbook Approach.
- Create natural spaces inside and out and establish rich learning environments that stimulate and engage children.
- Design or source natural resources with children to use across the curriculum.
“I was really looking forward to visiting Auchlone, I’d heard so much about it and I wasn’t disappointed. I’ll be putting what I’ve learnt into practice as soon as I can.” Nursery Practitioner
“Amazing, a total eye-opener! I can’t wait to start introducing learning with nature to our children.” Nursery Manager
“Inspiring, encouraging, exciting and invigorating. Kate and Mona were wonderful hosts and their enthusiasm for Nature Pedagogy is infectious.” Primary School Teacher
We offer several Auchlone visits during the year but we can also run bespoke visits for groups, please drop us a line if you’re interested -firstname.lastname@example.org